Are you looking for a student experience in a community that blends cosmopolitan with a little bit of rustic charm? Welcome to the heart of Ontario and the economic engine of Canada. Welcome to Hamilton and south-central Ontario. McMaster University has called Hamilton home for almost 90 of its 130 years in existence.
Hamilton is the ninth largest city in Canada, fourth largest in Ontario and ranked as one of the top 10 places to do business in Canada. Situated on the Niagara escarpment, Hamilton is only 45 minutes from Toronto and the U.S. border.
McMaster is nestled in the west end of Hamilton in a residential area called Westdale Village. Bordered by Cootes Paradise, the Royal Botanical Gardens and the shores of Lake Ontario, the campus is connected to kilometers of nature trails, biking paths and Hamilton’s burgeoning waterfront.
Those in search of a more urban experience are never too far from amenities that downtown Hamilton has to offer. Restaurants, concert theatres, hockey games, art galleries, street festivals and Hess Village—the signature piece of Hamilton’s nightlife, add to Hamilton’s status as a vibrant city experiencing rebirth and transformation.
The best way to see and experience McMaster and our beautiful hometown is to visit! Join us for a tour or one our special events.
10 Things To Do in Hamilton
If you are looking for some fun and relaxation outside of classes, there are several options to choose from in Hamilton. Here is a list of 10 to get you started:
- Hike to one of Hamilton’s 120 waterfalls
- Take a selfie @ Sam Lawrence Park
- Tour Hamilton Harbour by boat or the paved Waterfront Trail
- Dine on Locke Street
- Explore an art gallery on James Street North or the nearby Art Gallery of Hamilton
- Skip a stone on Van Wagner’s Beach / Confederation Park
- Cycle on the Escarpment Rail Trail
- Sample the latest brews at one of Hamilton’s microbreweries (if you are 19 years or older)
- Visit one of the dozens of parks in Hamilton
- Catch a festival at Gage Park
- Go people watching at Gore Park Promenade
- Watch a concert/sporting event at the First Ontario Centre or Concert Hall
Public Transportation to Hamilton & McMaster
Hamilton is also conveniently situated on major rail, air, water and road transportation networks to other large North American centres such as Toronto, New York, Chicago and Montreal (to name a few).
Profiles of Hamilton: Past, Present & Future