McMaster was one of the first institutions in Canada to launch a Physician Assistant Education program. The PA Education Program leads to a Bachelor of Health Sciences (Physician Assistant) degree. The program is taught using inquiry and problem-based learning models which enhance each student’s ability to think critically, solve problems, demonstrate initiative and independence in practice, and promote lifelong learning. Physician Assistants (PAs) are health care professionals who work with physicians to provide health care. Under the overall supervision of a physician, PAs take histories, conduct physical exams, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret tests, counsel on preventive health care and may assist in surgery. A PA’s practice may also include education, research and administration.
McMaster University through its Faculty of Health Sciences and its medical, nursing, occupational and physiotherapy and midwifery programs has established a leading role in health care education in Canada. McMaster has a tradition of innovation in health care education starting 40 years ago with the establishment of its revolutionary medical school using small group, problem-based, self-directed learning.
Average entering GPA
8.6 on a 9-point scale
Graduates weighted average in employer satisfaction
Percentage of Grads in Professional/Technical Programs
Please refer to the Physician Assistant website for additional details.
- full teaching hospital on campus
- full range of health-related institutions located in the Hamilton region, ranging from community based programs to highly specialized tertiary care services
- new clinical skills and surgery simulation laboratories that work as “flight simulators” for health sciences students
- teaching rooms in the Michael G. DeGroote Centre for Learning & Discovery with the latest smart board and video conferencing technology
- student lounge and home base in the Health Sciences Centre
- Health Sciences library with two storey reading pavilion, study group rooms, electronic resources and e-classroom