Honours Integrated Science
Honours Integrated Science (iSci) puts into practice innovative concepts linking science education and leading research topics, demonstrating a holistic view of science through the interaction of various science disciplines.
In addition to learning broad fundamentals, iSci also provides students the opportunity to specialize in a selected discipline including: Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Biochemistry, Medical and Biological Physics, Earth and Environmental Science, Environmental Science, and Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour; allowing students the opportunity to contribute to a specialist field with a wide range of knowledge.
The iSci program will prepare students for post-graduate work through the application of inquiry and problem-based learning within the classroom, the provision of many practical laboratory and field experiences, and the development of essential scientific communication skills.
What makes iSci unique?
- Integration of research and education spanning all disciplines of science
- Hands-on learning alongside leading researchers in state-of-the-art facilities
- Problem-based learning in small class settings
- Limited enrolment program designed for highly motivated, high-achieving students
- Taught by interdisciplinary teams of faculty applying innovative approaches to teaching and learning
- Opportunities to work closely with faculty members on research projects in laboratory and field settings
- Research collaborations and internships with government, industrial, and community partners
- Integrated scientific literacy component in which students learn and develop scientific writing and
presentation skills, ethical approaches to research, and the effective use of library and internet resources
- Integrated learning of science allows students to understand how knowledge has accumulated within and
across scientific disciplines, and how new scientific thought is created and communicated
While co-op and internship opportunities are not available for the Integrated Science program at this time, there are a variety of experiential education opportunities ingrained into the foundation of the program.
Experiential Education (EE) provides opportunities for students to gain academically relevant experience in a community, research or professional setting. This combination of academic and real world learning helps students to further develop the necessary qualities and skills that will be transferrable to future career paths. EE courses could be either an Applied Placement Course (SCIENCE 3EP3) or a Research Practicum Course (SCIENCE 3RP3).
Information about Experiential Education opportunities are available via the Science Career & Cooperative Education website.
- Administrative offices for iSci faculty and staff, ensuring easy and open communication between professors, administrators, and students
- The iStudy, a dedicated study space for registered iSci students
- The ThInK Space (Thode Interactive Knowledge Space), a library teaching classroom featuring multi-media integration and assistive teaching technology
In addition to the third floor of Thode, iSci has dedicated undergraduate lab space. The iSci lab:
- Has over 3000 square feet of redesigned lab space for students to learn and explore
- Is the first university laboratory in Canada to utilize environmentally friendly neutrodine™-filtered ductless fume hoods
- In year one alone, the iSci lab will be used for over 25 experiments, field labs, and workshops spanning the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, and Earth science so that students can develop their hands-on skills.
The Integrated Science (iSci) lab is the central location for lab-based experiences offered in the iSci program. This multidisciplinary space is available to all iSci undergraduate students but is primarily used by first and second year students. Experiments in physics, chemistry, biology, earth science, neuroscience, thermodynamics and other disciplines are delivered weekly. Students develop their hands-on, practical skills on a wide variety of equipment related to these disciplines
What you’ll take:
- ISCI 1A24 Integrated Science I
- 6 units of electives
ISCI 1A24 integrates learning of essential knowledge and skills from the fundamental scientific disciplines (biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, earth science and psychology) in the context of pertinent topics and projects. Interdisciplinary teams of instructors will teach and linkages between discipline areas will be emphasized partly through the study of ‘thematic modules.’ Serves as a prerequisite for most Level II science courses.
Honours Integrated Science (iSci) is a direct–entry program. Students admitted to iSci may pursue a concentration in one of the following areas of study in the Faculty of Science beginning in Level II:
- Chemical Biology
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Medical & Biological Physics Concentration
- Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour