McMaster was one of the first institutions in Canada to launch a Physician Assistant Education program. The PA Education Program leads to a Bachelor of Health Sciences (Physician Assistant) degree. The program is taught using inquiry and problem-based learning models which enhance each student’s ability to think critically, solve problems, demonstrate initiative and independence in practice, and promote lifelong learning. Physician Assistants (PAs) are health care professionals who work with physicians to provide health care. Under the overall supervision of a physician, PAs take histories, conduct physical exams, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret tests, counsel on preventive health care and may assist in surgery. A PA’s practice may also include education, research and administration.
McMaster University through its Faculty of Health Sciences and its medical, nursing, occupational and physiotherapy and midwifery programs has established a leading role in health care education in Canada. McMaster has a tradition of innovation in health care education starting 40 years ago with the establishment of its revolutionary medical school using small group, problem-based, self-directed learning.
- full teaching hospital on campus
- full range of health-related institutions located in the Hamilton region, ranging from community based programs to highly specialized tertiary care services
- new clinical skills and surgery simulation laboratories that work as “flight simulators” for health sciences students
- teaching rooms in the Michael G. DeGroote Centre for Learning & Discovery with the latest smart board and video conferencing technology
- student lounge and home base in the Health Sciences Centre
- renovated Health Sciences library with two storey reading pavilion, study group rooms, electronic resources and e-classroom
Unavailable at this time.
McMaster’s Physician Assistant program is one of the first of its kind in Ontario and Canada.
OUAC Application Code N/A.
Total Annual Enrollment: ##
Please refer to the Faculty of Health Sciences website (http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/physicianassistant) for more information about the Program’s curriculum.
- Physician Assistant
Please refer to the Physician Assistant Education Program website.
N/A. Please refer to Physician Assistant Education program website for more information regarding clinical placements.